Legal & Privacy
Certain statements in this website are “forward-looking statements” which reflect Avenue Investment Management Inc.’s (the “Corporation”) expectations regarding future growth, supply and demand of assets, any appreciation in the value of assets, results of operations, performance and business prospects and opportunities. Wherever possible, words such as “may”, “would”, “could”, “will”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “plan”, “expect”, “intend”, “estimate”, “aim”, “endeavour” and similar expressions have been used to identify these forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements reflect the Corporation’s current beliefs with respect to future events and are based on information currently available to management. Forward-looking statements involve significant known and unknown risks, uncertainties and assumptions. A number of factors could cause our actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements that may be expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements including, without limitation, those risks and uncertainties discussed elsewhere on this website. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should assumptions underlying the forward-looking statements prove incorrect, actual results, performance or achievements could vary materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements contained in this website. These factors should be considered carefully and prospective investors should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Although the forward-looking statements contained in this website are based upon what the Corporation currently believes to be reasonable assumptions, the Corporation cannot assure prospective investors that actual results, performance or achievements will be consistent with these forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of inclusion on this website, and the Corporation does not intend, and the Corporation does not assume any obligation, to update or revise these forward-looking statements to reflect new events or circumstances.
Market data and industry forecasts used in this website were obtained from various publicly available sources. Although the Corporation believes that these independent sources are generally reliable, the accuracy and completeness of such information is not guaranteed and has not been independently verified.
The information contained on this website is for general informational purposes only and is subject to change without notice. Avenue Investment Management Inc. (the “Corporation”) accepts no liability whatsoever for any inaccuracies in the information provided or for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of the use of all or any part of this website. The information contained herein is unaudited, unless explicitly specified otherwise. This website is not intended to provide specific individual advice including, without limitation, investment, financial, legal, accounting or tax. Please contact your own professional advisor on your particular circumstances.
This website does not constitute an offer to sell or solicitation to purchase securities of any issuer or any portfolio managed by the Corporation.
The information contained herein does not constitute an offer or solicitation by anyone in the United States or in any other jurisdiction in which such an offer or solicitation is not authorized or to any person to whom it is unlawful to make such an offer or solicitation. Prospective investors who are not resident in Canada should contact their financial advisor to determine whether the securities referred to on this website may be lawfully sold in their jurisdiction.
This website is made available to you for your lawful, personal, non-commercial use only. You may print or download website pages for your personal, non-commercial use provided that you do not modify any of the website pages or other content and you do not remove or alter any visible or non-visible identification marks, notices or disclaimers. You may not use the website and its contents for any other purpose or in any other way. In particular, the website and its content may not be copied, imitated, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, modified, indexed, catalogued, mirrored or distributed in any way, in whole or in part, without the express prior written consent of the Corporation.
The Corporation does not accept any liability for your use of this website. Your use of this website is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis, without any representations, warranties or conditions of any kind, whether express or implied, and including without limitation implied representations, warranties or conditions of title, non-infringement, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, performance, availability, timeliness, accuracy or completeness, all of which are hereby disclaimed by the Corporation to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Corporation will not under any circumstances be liable to you or any other person for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect, special, incidental, economic, or consequential, exemplary or punitive) arising from, connected with, or relating to the use of or inability to use this website, the information or any action or decision made by you or any other person in reliance on this website or the information or any unauthorized use or reproduction of this website or the information.
The Corporation shall not be responsible or liable for any damages incurred to computer equipment or other types of equipment used nor for viruses that may infect the former due to the access and use of this website or the downloading of any document or materials from this website.
This website, including all of its content, is the property of the Corporation and others, and is protected by applicable Canadian copyright and international copyright, trade-mark and other laws. Your use of this website does not transfer to you any ownership or their rights in this website or its content.
Links to this website without the express written permission of the Corporation are strictly prohibited. To request permission to link to this website, please contact the Corporation by telephone at (416) 482-2004 or by mail to 47 Colborne Street, Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1P8. The framing, mirroring, scraping or data-mining of this website or any of its content in any form and by any method is strictly prohibited.
This website contains links to third party websites. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you and not as an endorsement by the Corporation. The Corporation is not responsible for the content or accuracy of materials on such third-party websites. If you decide to access linked third-party websites, you do so at your own risk.
This website and its terms are governed by the laws applicable in the Province of Ontario, Canada. All disputes arising from these terms must be resolved exclusively by the courts of the Province of Ontario.
The Corporation complies with the requirements of Part 1 and Schedule 1 of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) (“PIPEDA”) and all applicable provincial personal information laws. Below is an overview of the privacy principles set out in Schedule 1 of PIPEDA.
What is Personal Information?
The term “personal information” refers to any information that specifically identifies you, including information such as your home address, telephone numbers, social insurance number, birth date, assets and/or income information, employment history and credit history.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
We collect your personal information directly from you in order to provide you with services in connection with your investments, to meet legal and regulatory requirements and for any other purposes to which you consent. Your personal information may be collected from a variety of sources, including:
- applications, questionnaires or other forms that you submit to us or contracts that you enter into with us;
- your transactions with us;
- meetings and telephone conversations with you;
- e-mail communications with us; and
- our website (www.avenueinvestment.com).
How do we use your Personal Information?
We collect and maintain your personal information in order to give you the best possible service and allow us to establish your identity, protect us from error and fraud, comply with the law and assess your eligibility for purchasing securities of the portfolios that we manage. In addition, we may use your personal information for:
- executing your transactions;
- verifying and correcting your personal information; and
- providing you with confirmations, tax receipts, proxy mailings, financial statements and other reports.
Who do we share your Personal Information with?
We may transfer your personal information, when necessary, to our third party service providers and to our agents in connection with the services we provide related to you, but they will not share this information with others. Such information is only used for the purposes identified above. The Corporation will use contractual or other means to provide a comparable level of protection while the information is being handled by a third party service provider or agent. The following is a list of such third party providers and agents:
- financial service providers such as investment dealers, custodians, prime brokers, banks and others used to finance or facilitate transactions or operations on your behalf;
- other service providers such as accounting, legal or tax preparation services; and
- registrar and transfer agents, portfolio managers, brokerage firms and similar service providers.
We may also be required by law to disclose information to government regulatory authorities (for example, we may be required to report your income to taxation authorities). We may also be required to disclose your personal information to self-regulatory organizations (“SROs”), which collect, use and disclose such personal information for regulatory purposes, including trading surveillance, audits, investigations, maintenance of regulatory databases and enforcement proceedings. SROs may, in turn, disclose such personal information when reporting to securities regulators or when sharing information with other SROs and law enforcement agencies.
We do not sell, lease, barter or otherwise deal with your personal information with third parties.
How do we obtain your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information?
Can you withdraw your consent?
You may withdraw all or any part of your consent for us to collect, use or disclose your personal information subject to legal restrictions and reasonable notice. The Corporation will inform you of the implications of such withdrawal of consent for the continued provision of services.
How do we safeguard personal information?
We carefully safeguard your personal information and, to that end, restrict access to personal information about you to those employees and other persons who need to know the information to enable us to provide services to you. The Corporation’s employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality of all personal information they may access. Annually, each of the Corporation’s employees is required to sign a code of conduct, which contains policies on the protection of personal information.
Where is your personal information kept?
Your personal information is maintained on our networks or on the networks of our service providers accessible at 47 Colborne Street, Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1P8. Your information may also be stored on a secure off-site storage facility.
How can you access your personal information?
You may request access to your personal information by writing to the Corporation at 47 Colborne Street, Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario, M5E 1P8. We will respond to your written request promptly. The Corporation may be unable to provide you with full access to your personal information if we are prohibited by law or regulatory reasons or it has been destroyed. The Corporation will provide you with an explanation if we are unable to fulfill your access request.
Who do you contact if you have any questions or concerns?
Summary of Privacy Principles set out in Schedule 1 of PIPEDA
- Identifying Purpose: The purposes for which personal information is collected will be identified by the Corporation at or before the time the information is collected. The Corporation will also document the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual, express or implied, are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information by the Corporation, except where inappropriate.
- Limiting Collection: The Corporation will limit the amount and type of personal information collected to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the Corporation. The personal information will be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: The Corporation will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required or permitted by law. Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy: The Corporation will keep personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. The Corporation will minimize the possibility that inappropriate information is used to make a decision about the individual.
- Safeguards: The Corporation will protect personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness: The Corporation will be open about its policies and procedures with respect to the management of personal information. The Corporation will ensure that individuals are able to acquire information about the Corporation’s policies and procedures without unreasonable effort. The Corporation will make this information available in a form that is generally understandable.
- Individual Access: Upon a request in writing, the Corporation will inform the individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and the individual will be given access to that information, except where the law requires or permits the Corporation to deny access.
- Questions and Concerns: An individual will be able to direct a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the Corporation’s Chief Privacy Officer.
Your personal information may be delivered to the Ontario Securities Commission and is thereby being collected indirectly by the Ontario Securities Commission under the authority granted to it under applicable securities legislation for the purposes of the administration and enforcement of the securities legislation of Ontario. The public official in Ontario who can answer questions about the Ontario Securities Commission’s indirect collection of personal information is the Administrative Assistant to the Director of Corporate Finance, Ontario Securities Commission by mail to 19th Floor, 20 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2S8, by telephone at (416) 597-0681 or by e-mail to Inquiries@osc.gov.on.ca.